Thursday, September 1, 2011

My little garden (and what I learned)


Hello!

Yesterday, I mentioned that this summer I started a small (teeny tiny actually) veggie garden.

Well, here it is, in all of its zucchinified glory.  Who knew those zucchini's would get sooo big.


In there somewhere I also have some lettuce, green beans, tomatoes, and raspberries.

Here are the pictures to prove it.

Will these ever go red?

I've already picked a bunch of zucchinis.

And I guess I forgot to take pics of the beans and lettuce.  (bad blogher)

I also have this little raspberry bush growing in the back.  I bought it on clearance in July, so I'm only getting berries now, and I'm hoping they go red soon (before the snow comes).


There are alot of "green" berries on it.
And some cherry tomatoes in a pot.  These have been going strong for months.


In my quest to rid my home of harmful chemicals from my home and our food, I have not added any pesticides or anything to my little veggie garden.

In the Spring I emptied my composter into the ground and mixed it in there really good.  Lots of nutrients. And most importantly clean food.

You can see the corner of the composter in the top picture.

A few things I learned this summer while attempting to grow my veggies:

1. PLANTS NEED WATER EVERYDAY!

Duh! I know, it's pretty self explanatory, but I was not consistent in my watering.  My mom told me to water morning and night. She knows what she is talking about, since in the summer they don't grocery shop for veggies or fruit, they eat from their garden. I should have listened.

2. PLANT AS SOON AS THE THREAT OF FROST HAS PASSED.

In my area that would be around May 24th weekend (or Victoria Day holiday).  I think I planted mine the last weekend of June or first of week of July. No wonder everything is taking forever to mature.  In my defense we had alot going on at the time.

3. PLANT ONLY WHAT WE WILL EAT.

I love grean beans and so does hubby.  The kids don't. I should have used the area that the grean beans were planted in to plant something else that we would have ALL eaten... like carrotts or peppers.

Although I'm still waiting for some things to go red, I'm pleased with my little veggie garden this year.  Next year, I think I will only plant one Zucchini plant in the back corner of the garden, so it doesn't take over.

Did you plant a veggie garden this year? How did you do?
Do you compost? 
Any advice for a novice like me?

Bette
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ask me how to
Get Clean™
Safe for you, your home, and your planet™

Are you interested in starting a home based business that helps you protect your home, your family and the planet?

(Send me an e-mail at frugalmomx3@gmail.com to find out how
 you can join my team or try any of the products.)

Start making a difference today!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails